The purpose of this online course is to introduce you to key social studies concepts about how societies work and how people can participate as critical, active, informed, and responsible citizens.
For each credit, allow about 10 hours of study.
Cost2019NZ students $0 + $60 annual administration fee
International students N/A + $60 annual administration fee
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
Contexts are drawn from the past, present, and future and from places within and beyond Aotearoa New Zealand.
For more information watch the course introduction video below.
Fee free offer
The enrolment fees and annual administration fee for this course is currently fee free for New Zealand domestic students and New Zealand citizens living overseas.
Please read the terms and conditions in the Fee Free Offer Tab on the qualification page. Please disregard the $60 annual administration fee that is showing, this will not be charged.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to
- Demonstrate understanding of the core principles of social science. Examine a campaign of social action to influence policy change using social studies concepts and giving specific evidence.
- Conduct a critical social inquiry using social studies concepts and giving specific evidence.
- Examine personal involvement in a social action that aims to influence policy change using social studies concepts and giving specific evidence.
This course is 100% internally assessed
Your course is delivered 100% online. To complete this course you will need access to a computer or device, broadband internet and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer/device or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
You can do this course as part of these qualifications: