If you would like to work in a communication role or carry out communication-focused tasks in your existing job, this is the right qualification for you.
Approximately 10-12 hours study per course per week.
Study type Trimester
Cost$4,380 NZ Domestic
Not including annual administration fees, course materials or external exam fees.
OP527102 Diploma in Communication Studies (Level 5) is closed to enrolments for new students.
To view available communication programmes please visit our communication subject page.
If you were already enrolled in OP527102 Diploma in Communication Studies (Level 5) up to and including Trimester 1 2019, you can continue to enrol in your next course as normal to complete this programme.
Please note you must be enrolled in your last course by Trimester 3, 2020 and successfully complete all courses that make up the programme to be awarded the qualification.
If you need help with a study plan to complete the programme in this timeframe, please email us.
What you will learn
When you achieve this qualification you will be able to:
- write business and technical reports
- prepare and deliver oral presentations
- examine cultural, societal, interpersonal and ethical issues in communication.
- analyse communication practices in business and evaluate their effectiveness
- work with others and communicate with clarity in oral and written forms
- evaluate communication issues within the New Zealand context using social scientific concepts.
You also have the flexibility to choose four elective courses with particular relevance to your career.
After you complete this programme, you can advance your communication career by studying:
This qualification will prepare you for a range of roles such as
- communication officer
- media relations assistant
- communications advisor.
- It is also useful if you work in a role where you need to have broad communication skills.
Recognition of prior learning
RPL is how we recognise self-learning and the experience you have gained in the workplace. If you have relevant work experience that you think will exempt you from having to do some parts of this qualification you can apply for RPL.
You will need to provide evidence that you have already met the learning outcomes of the course you want to be exempted from. The evidence could be testimonials or references from appropriately experienced referees.
You can apply for RPL after you have enrolled.