Diploma in Information and Library Studies (Level 5)
OP520502Closed to new enrolments
The Diploma in Information and Library Studies (Level 5) is the first of our range of information and library studies qualifications that will give you the skills to work in school, public, special or academic libraries.
Approximately 10-12 hours study per course per week.
Study type Trimester
Cost$4,380 NZ Domestic
Not including annual administration fees, course materials or external exam fees.
Closed to new students
This programme is closed to new students.
If you are interested in studying a diploma in Library and Information Studies, learn more about our new programme:
If you enrolled in this programme before 23 October 2017, you can continue to enrol in your next course as normal to complete your qualification.
You must complete all your courses by the end of Trimester 2, 2020 to be awarded this qualification.
From Trimester 3 2018, there are some changes to courses that make up the programme to include the latest courses developed for our new library programmes. We are updating our suite of Library and information studies courses, so new courses are progressively replacing courses that were previously in this programme.
To see the course changes check the updated Study plan.
If you need help with choosing your courses, are interested in transferring into our new diploma, or have any questions, please get in touch:
Courses that are changing and their equivalents
- 72142 - Accessing Information OR LIS 502 - Navigating and Using Information
- 72170 - The Information Industry OR LIS501 - The Information Environment
- 72171 - Library Systems and Processes OR LIS506 - Collection Management in Libraries
- 72270- Information Sources and Services OR LIS603
- 72271- User Education and Reference Skills OR LIS601
Students also need to successfully complete one course from the list below:
- 71155 - Business Computing
- 72140 - Business Communication
- 72175 - Principles of Records Management OR LIS507 - Principles of Records Management
- 72182 - Writing for the Web
- 74104 - Introducing Humanities and Arts
- 74111 - Aotearoa New Zealand Society
- 72276 - Literature and Information Resources for Children and Young People OR LIS606 Reader Development
What you will learn
You will learn about the information industries (such as libraries and archives and records management), information collections and how to manage them, information literacy, information seeking and information sources and services for library clients. You will be able to:
- source and use information
- understand and use information technology as a tool in information provision
- provide client-focused service.
This qualification will prepare you for a career:
- in school, public or academic libraries as a library assistant or assistant librarian
- or sole-charge librarian in a small special library or school library.