Certificate in Advanced Sterilising Technology (Level 5)
OP5171Closed to new enrolments
This programme builds on the knowledge and skills developed in the Open Polytechnic Certificate in Sterilising Technology (Level 3).
Approximately 10-12 hours study per course per week.
Study type Open
Cost$2,190 NZ Domestic
Not including annual administration fees, course materials or external exam fees.
The New Zealand Sterile Services Association (NZSSA) recognises this programme.
If you are a leader of a service or a senior technician involved in or responsible for the reprocessing of re-usable medical devices, this programme is for you.
You will gain advanced sterilising knowledge and the skills to use quality management processes. You will also gain skill in leadership, training and verification of others to provide sterilising services.
This qualification is closed to enrolments for new students.
If you want to study further in this field check with the NZ Sterile Sciences Association to see what options are available.
If you enrolled in this qualification before 9 December 2018, you can enrol in your next course as normal to complete your qualification.
To be awarded this qualification you must:
- enrol in your last course by 4 November 2019
- successfully complete all 3 courses by 30 June 2020.
If you need help with a study plan to complete your certificate in this timeframe, please contact us.
What you will learn
When you achieve this qualification you will be able to:
- access current information related to sterilising technology
- discuss issues related to effective decontamination and sterilisation of surgical instruments
- demonstrate practices that ensure the achievement and maintenance of sterility
- apply validation requirements for cleaning, disinfection and sterilisation of instruments and equipment
- provide leadership for a team and train and verify the work of people providing sterile services
- apply standards, legislation and quality management methods for continuous improvement in sterile services.
This qualification will prepare you for a career leading a sterilising technology team in a health service organisation or office-based environment.