New Zealand Certificate in Exercise (Level 4)
Become a personal trainer with the New Zealand Certificate in Exercise (Level 4) and learn how to help people improve their health and wellbeing and achieve their fitness goals.
Study type Open
Cost$2,938 NZ Domestic
Not including any course materials or external exam fees.
This programme can only be studied part-time. It is not eligible for course-related costs, living costs or student allowances from StudyLink.
This programme, developed in collaboration with Skills Active Aotearoa, provides students with the knowledge and skills to deliver exercise sessions and gain employment in roles such as:
- personal trainer (employed or self-employed)
- exercise consultant
- community exercise instructor
- gym instructor.
Graduates are eligible to register with the New Zealand Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs).
This programme is available nationwide. It includes a practicum component, so you must have access to a suitable gym facility (see the information below).
What you will learn
When you complete this qualification you will be able to:
- Apply knowledge of anatomy and physiology to design safe and effective personal training exercise programmes for healthy and at-risk individuals
- Deliver safe and effective exercise programmes, in-line with your own scope of practice and the industry code of ethics
- Conduct pre-screening and testing with clients
- Adapt exercise programmes to ensure continued progress for clients
- Apply motivational and communication techniques to enhance participant commitment to a personalised exercise programme
- Apply a health and wellness framework and evidence-based nutrition principles to support a personalised exercise programme and recommend referral pathways to allied health professionals
- Use marketing and business tools and techniques to support business practices as an exercise professional.
For more information watch the course introduction video for EXE402 below.
- Course 1 – Fundamentals of Exercise Delivery - All content in course 1 is theory, delivered online. There are four written assignments.
- Course 2 – Delivering Exercise Programmes - Is a combination of theory and practical assessments conducted in a gym. There are two written assignments and one practical assessment.
- Course 3 – Becoming an Exercise Professional - This course has a combination of theory and practical content. There are two written assignments and one practical assessment.
Courses 2 (EXE402) and 3 (EXE403) each involve a practicum component. During these practicums you’ll work with clients from a range of populations to carry out fitness testing then design and deliver exercise programmes with them.
Access to a gym facility
Both Open Polytechnic and our practical delivery partner will support you during your practicum. If you already have access to a suitable gym facility you may wish to establish arrangements with this gym yourself.
If you don’t have access to gym facilities Open Polytechnic will work with our industry stakeholders and partners to find suitable arrangements for you.
To be eligible to pay your fees via student loan, you need to structure your application for EXE401 and EXE402 to start two months apart.
Upon successful completion of EXE401 and submission of all EXE402 assignments, submit your application for enrolment in EXE403, which must start in the month following your completion of EXE402. The end date of EXE403 needs to be within 52 weeks of the start date of your 52-week loan contract (the start date will be when you commenced EXE401).
For example, if you enrol for EXE401 in August 2022 and EXE402 for October 2022 (ends Feb 2023), the last available block to enrol in for EXE403 is March 2023 (ends July 2023).
If you need assistance please call us on 0508 650 200.