New Zealand Certificate in Information Technology (Level 5)
The New Zealand Certificate in Information Technology (Level 5) qualification will give you a broad understanding of the core concepts and practical skills in information technology.
This qualification will help you gain valuable fundamental concepts and foundation knowledge for the information technology and computing subject areas. You will be able to build on your existing IT skills from previous qualifications or relevant experience.
As a graduate of this programme, you will be able to apply the fundamentals of current and emerging concepts and practices in IT. You will also be able to demonstrate awareness of appropriate professional practice, and work as part of a team and independently, under broad supervision.
This qualification will give you a pathway to the undergraduate IT degree programme, if you meet the entry requirements for the Bachelor of Information Technology (BIT) degree.
What you will learn
When you complete this programme you will be able to:
- apply IT technical support concepts and practice to manage hardware and software resources to meet organisational requirements
- apply the fundamentals of information systems concepts and practice to support and enhance organisational processes and systems
- apply the fundamentals of interaction design concepts and practice to enhance interface designs
- apply the principles of software development to create simple working applications
- apply professional, legal, and ethical principles and practices in a socially responsible manner as an emerging IT professional
- use your communication, personal and interpersonal skills to enhance effectiveness in an IT role
- use problem-solving and decision making techniques to provide innovative and timely IT outcomes.
Open Polytechnic is an educational partner of IT Professionals New Zealand. IT Professionals NZ is a community of thousands of professionals who work in the IT industry, and care about professional practice, support professional development, set standards, and work hard to help other members get ahead.
When you enrol in our New Zealand Certificate in Information Technology (Level 5) you will get an annual student membership with IT Professionals New Zealand while you are studying with us.
Open Polytechnic programmes
If you don't meet the entry requirements for this qualification we have a range of study options at certificate Levels 1 - 4 that lead to this qualification. Check out our Foundation and Bridging Certificates or contact us to discuss your options.