The purpose of this course is to enable you to contribute to the development of wellness support plans for mental health and addiction service users and to provide those service users with information, resources and support to action their plan.
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
You will increase your awareness of other cultures and the effects that culture has on work practices. You will have the choice of either describing your own and two other cultures or on focussing on Pacific people to increase your knowledge of culturally safe principles and values.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to
- Describe policies, procedures and resources used to assist in responding to culture-related issues in an aged care, health or disability context.
- Describe own cultural identity and its influence on work practices in an aged care, mental health or addiction service and
- Describe other cultural identities and their influence on work practices in an aged care, mental health or addiction service, OR
- Describe culturally safe principles and Pacific values for a consumer in a health, disability, or community setting, AND
- Describe components and strategies of a wellness support plan for a mental health and addiction service user
- Contribute to the development of a wellness support plan
- Work with mental health and addiction service users to action and review a wellness support plan in terms of its stated aims and objectives
- Describe prescription medication for mental health and addiction service users
- Support mental health and addiction service users to manage prescription medication
- Describe local services and resources relevant to mental health and addiction service users and their natural supports
- Support mental health and addiction service users and their natural supports to engage with and review local services and resources
Students must be in paid or unpaid work as a mental health or addiction support worker and have a signed memorandum of understanding signed by their employer
This course is 100% internally assessed
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.