The design and organisation of methods used in manufacturing to bring about the transformation process is of fundamental importance to a manufacturing firm. In this course you will undertake a practical study to apply concepts developed during the course. This course follows on from MEC2202 Manufacturing Processes.
Delivery type2019Trimester 2 2019
Allow approximately 8-9 hours study time per week for each 15 credit course. Your workload may be higher around assessment due dates or exam time.
Cost2019NZ students $738 + $60 annual administration fee
International students N/A + $60 annual administration fee
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to
- analyse various techniques and carry out a range of practical tests associated with metrology;
- explain how the study of methods and work measurement can help the engineer solve many problems associated with the manufacturing environment;
- interpret how the functions of production planning and control operate in a manufacturing organisation;
- analyse the concept of inventory control and in particular, its application to the ordering and costing of materials in store;
- analyse and apply methods for equipment selection and maintenance;
- evaluate various layouts associated with manufacturing and explain when and how to apply them;
- outline the principles of operation of flexible manufacturing systems, group technology, just in time systems and computer integrated manufacturing;
- examine the applications of health and safety management in manufacturing organisations;
- evaluate various investment options using net present value.
- analyse different types of robots and their application characteristics;
- discuss various types of automated material handling systems and their applications in the manufacturing industries;
- discuss automated inspection and testing systems and their applications in the manufacturing industries;
- discuss various characteristics of automated production lines and their applications in the manufacturing industries.
40% internally assessed
For more information and a full list of exam times see our examinations page.
No textbooks are required for this course
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
You can do this course as part of these qualifications: