This online exercise delivery course will introduce you to the exercise industry and your role as an exercise professional within the industry.
Cost$1,004 NZ Domestic
Teaching weeks 16 weeks
Workload Approximately 13 hours per week
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
It provides you with a broad overview of gross anatomy, physiological structures, structure and functions of the body systems, and evidence based nutrition with regard to health and wellbeing frameworks and the design of personalised exercise programmes.
For more information watch the course introduction video below.
Fee free offer EXE401 (New enrolments)
You may be able to study this first course in the Certificate in Exercise programme fees free.
Please see the terms and conditions and specific enrolment instructions at the bottom of the page.
Students who successfully complete this online exercise course will be able to:
- Explain the industry and the role of an exercise professional within the industry
- Identify and explain gross anatomical and physiological structures in relation to movement
- Explain key structures and functions of body systems
- Explain evidence based nutrition that promote health outcomes
- Outline (or illustrate) components of a health and wellness framework that promote health outcomes.
This course has no exams but does have a include a practical assessment.
As part of this course you will be required to undertake a practical assessment in a gym/exercise facility. The practicum component consists of 20 hours.
Open Polytechnic will work with you to establish suitable arrangements for you to engage in your practicum placement. If you already have access to a suitable gym facility then you may wish to establish arrangements with this gym yourself.
If you don’t have access to gym facilities then Open Polytechnic will work with our industry stakeholders and partners to establish suitable arrangements for you.
Access to a gym facility
We will work with our learners to set up their practicum placement. However, belonging to a gym may help with setting up the practicum.
Please note: outside of main centre cities establishing arrangements for your practicum is subject to the availability of suitable gym facilities.
Note: if you're completing this course as part of NZ3563 V1 there are no practical assessments. You will be 100% internally assessed on written assignments.
No textbooks are required for this course.
Fee free offer EXE401 (New enrolments): Enrolment instructions
The offer is available for students who meet the entry criteria and have been approved to enrol.
Students who are deemed to be not engaged in the course by Open Polytechnic will be withdrawn from the course
The offer cannot be applied retrospectively to students who have previously enrolled in EXE401.
- This offer is available for approved students enrolling in each month from January to December 2022
- The offer is limited to 300 students in total with a maximum of 50 students per month
- Students must be living in New Zealand and be eligible for domestic fees. This offer is not available for international students.
- Students who successfully complete EXE401 need to pay the normal fees for EXE402 and EXE403.
Important: On the payment screen in the enrolment form please do the following:
- Select ‘Contract ID” as your payment method.
- In the ‘Contract ID’ field enter: CD02214
- In the Contract Name field enter: Exercise Course 1 Deal
Computer and internet requirements
To complete this course you will need access to a laptop or desktop computer, reliable broadband internet connection and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content, and writing and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
Learn more about our online learning and study tools.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
You can do this course as part of these qualifications:
Course availability over the next 12 months