Electricity touches almost every aspect of our lives and occupations. In Electrical Plant you will develop skills and knowledge in the selection, installation, operation, control and maintenance of electrical equipment such as transformers, power supplies, motors, generators and other types of energy converters found in the workplace. It provides you with skills to carry out performance analysis of electrical equipment, power generation and supply systems and conduct energy audits of electrical installations.
Allow approximately 8-9 hours study time per week for each 15 credit course. Your workload may be higher around assessment due dates or exam time.
Cost2019NZ students $738 + $60 annual administration fee
International students N/A + $60 annual administration fee
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to
- analyse unbalanced three phase networks, determine neutral currents or neutral shift voltages in unbalanced systems and draw phasor diagrams of
- such systems;
- use Australian/New Zealand standards for wiring, earthing and safety systems;
- analyse the performance of power transformers, ac motors and ac generators using equivalent circuit models;
- evaluate and specify details of design, construction, safety, performance, and diagnostic checklist of power transformers, ac motors and ac generators;
- outline requirements for choosing type of plants for generation and storage of electrical energy;
- analyse power distribution networks using the per unit system;
- numerically evaluate fault current levels in simple supply systems;
- perform Australian/New Zealand standards energy audit analysis of electrical installations.
25% internally assessed
For more information and a full list of exam times see our examinations page.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
You can do this course as part of these qualifications: