In electrical, electronic and instrumentation industries, engineering professionals perform tests and measurements for quality assurance and performance evaluation to comply with industry standards. You will acquire basic knowledge and skills in electrical analogue measurement techniques and become familiar with relevant industry standards.
Allow approximately 8-9 hours study time per week for each 15 credit course. Your workload may be higher around assessment due dates or exam time.
Cost2019NZ students $738 + $60 annual administration fee
International students N/A + $60 annual administration fee
Topics in this course include the theoretical aspects of using analogue measuring instruments and test equipment, and analytical techniques for performance evaluation of components, devices and circuits.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to
- describe common measuring instruments, devices and circuits, and their application to electrical testing;
- identify and classify error sources, and explain how their effects can be minimised in particular measurement situations;
- analyse single- and three-phase circuits to determine voltage and current values, by means of complexors, matrices and phasor diagrams;
- analyse test measurements and circuit performance mathematically in both time and frequency domains, with the aid of network theorems, response curves and locus diagrams;
- specify details of instrumentation and devices intended for a particular application;
- evaluate the results of tests and measurements taken from circuitry constructed by the student; and
- demonstrate, through technical report writing, competency in mathematical and graphical analysis of data.
40% internally assessed
For more information and a full list of exam times see our examinations page.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
You can do this course as part of these qualifications: