This course introduces you to theories of how young children learn and develop, including the importance of attachment.
For each credit, allow about 10 hours of study.
Cost2019NZ students $485 + $60 annual administration fee
International students $1,000 + $60 annual administration fee
If you need to discuss prerequisites for this course
You will also explore Te Whaariki, the bi-cultural early childhood curriculum in more depth and the value of children’s play, including the role of the adult in supporting meaningful play experiences for children from birth to six (6) years of age. In addition you will learn about observation techniques and how to plan, implement a plan and to evaluate it, with guidance, to foster children’s learning.
Students who successfully complete this Early Childhood Theory and Practice course will be able to
- Describe key theories of children’s learning and development, including attachment theory.
- Demonstrate understanding of the bicultural early childhood curriculum framework Te Whaariki for children’s learning and development .
- Discuss the value of play and the role of the adult in supporting meaningful play experiences for infants, toddlers and young children.
- Demonstrate knowledge of observation techniques to inform planning for diverse learners in an early childhood setting.
- Develop, implement and evaluate a learning plan for an infant, toddler and young child.
This course is 100% internally assessed
No textbooks are required for this course
Your course is online assisted. To complete this course you will need access to a computer or device, broadband internet and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer/device or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- Choose the qualification you will study the course under.
- Check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
You can do this course as part of these qualifications: