This course introduces you to the regulatory framework and licensing criteria for early childhood services with reference to the role of government agencies and community services in supporting effective teaching practice.
Teaching weeks 32 weeks
Workload Approximately 7 hours per week
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
The purpose of operational policies and procedures and the educators role in relation to their implementation are also discussed.
Te Whāriki, the early childhood bicultural curriculum framework is introduced with a focus on the principle of Koatahitanga (holistic development) and Mana Atua,the strand of wellbeing.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to
- Describe the regulatory framework for operating in an early childhood setting including the role of government agencies and community services
- Describe policies and practices to ensure the health and wellbeing of infants toddlers and young children in an early childhood setting
- Demonstrate understanding of a safe and healthy environment for infants, toddlers and young children with reference to early childhood licensing criteria
- Demonstrate understanding of Te Tiriti o Waitangi/Treaty of Waitangi with reference to the bicultural early childhood curriculum Te Whāriki
- Use basic te reo Māori and tikanga Māori in an early childhood setting
This course is 100% internally assessed
No textbooks are required for this course
Computer and internet requirements
To complete this course you will need access to a laptop or desktop computer, reliable broadband internet connection and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content, and writing and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
Course availability over the next 12 months