This online course will develop your understanding of the characteristics and properties of common engineering materials relevant to mechanical and process engineering.
Delivery type2019Trimester 2 2019
Allow approximately 8-9 hours study time per week for each 15 credit course. Your workload may be higher around assessment due dates or exam time.
Cost2019NZ students $738 + $60 annual administration fee
International students N/A + $60 annual administration fee
Exam dates2019Trimester 1, 11 Jun 2019
Trimester 2, 15 Oct 2019
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
The course will cover the following:
- Characteristics and properties of ferrous and non-ferrous metals, iron-carbon diagram, steels, cast iron, ferrous alloys, cold and hot working
- Other materials such as ceramics, plastics, composites, timber and concrete
- Material testing, physical properties, tensile, compressive, fatigue, and NDT testing to relevant standards
- Heat treatment processes and effects
- Surface hardening processes
- Surface coatings
- Fibre reinforced composites, types of materials, types of reinforcements
- Selection of materials for engineering applications
On successful completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of basic materials science chemistry
- Describe and test properties of materials used in mechanical engineering
- Describe and specify methods to change engineering material properties
- Demonstrate an understanding of selection criteria for engineering materials
- Explain the likely causes of material failure
Method of Assessment
- Internal assessment 50%
- Examination 50%
For more information and a full list of exam times see our examinations page.
Your course is delivered 100% online. To complete this course you will need access to a computer or device, broadband internet and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer/device or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
Lab work requirements for this course will be undertaken in a virtual Lab
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
You can do this course as part of these qualifications: