This online course is designed to introduce you to the basic fundamentals of a range of engineering disciplines.
Delivery type2019Trimester 2 2019
Allow 10-12 hours study time per week for each 20 credit course.
Cost2019NZ students $738 + $60 annual administration fee
International students N/A + $60 annual administration fee
Exam dates2019Trimester 1, 10 Jun 2019
Trimester 2, 14 Oct 2019
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to
- Demonstrate the correct use of analysing forces and moments in mechanical systems.
- Calculate indirect stresses (bending and torsion) in mechanical components and select appropriate sections from standard tables.
- Demonstrate an understanding of energy in mechanical system, including the Conservation of energy theory.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the forces, moments and torques resulting from linear acceleration, rotational acceleration, and centripetal acceleration.
50% internally assessed
For more information and a full list of exam times see our examinations page.
There is a textbook required for this course. Visit our textbook page for more information.
A 2 ½ day practical Laboratory held in Wellington is a requirement for this course.
Trimester 1 Laboratories will be held during the term 1 school holidays,
Trimester 2 Laboratories will be during the term 3 school holidays.
Your course leader will confirm the actual dates within the first week of the trimester, however you can click here for school holiday dates to give you a guideline for planning.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
Lecturer / Tutor
You can do this course as part of these qualifications: