In this course you will study the history of furniture through to current day developments. The role of furniture at home and considerations required to select suitable pieces to work well in a given space. Students are taught how to create a plan to organise and arrange the furniture to make the best use of the space available.
For each credit, allow about 10 hours of study.
Cost2019NZ students $299 + $60 annual administration fee
International students $900 + $60 annual administration fee
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
Workload indicated above is the minimum study time you need to put in to complete the course. To meet the assessment due dates you need to study approximately 10 hours a week.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to
- Explain why furniture styles are reproduced and the role of custom made furniture
- Identify certain furniture designers, different furniture styles and materials used
- Select appropriate furniture for a given situation
- Develop a furniture plan considering style, role, colours, textures, patterns and furniture use and alternative possibilities
This course is 100% internally assessed.
In the two assessments you will answer questions on various furniture styles, prepare furniture plans and select appropriate furniture for a brief.
No textbooks are required for this course
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.