The course introduces students to the principles of design, including Balance, Rhythm, Emphasis, Proportion and Scale. Students investigate the Elements of Design; Space, Line, Form, Texture, Light and Colour and their applicability to design situations. Students then apply their understanding of the Principles and Elements to a design brief.
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to
- Identify, analyse and produce reports explaining how the principles and elements of design have been applied to the exterior of a building
- Identify, analyse and produce reports on how the principles and elements of design have been applied to the interior of a building, their appropriateness and suggestions for improvement
Course content includes
- Principles of Design
- Balance, Symmetrical, Asymmetrical and Radial
- Rhythm, Emphasis, Proportion and Scale
- Elements of Design
- Lines, straight, vertical, horizontal, diagonal, broken and curved
- Form, square, rectangular, triangular and circular
- Texture, rough and smooth
- Light and colour
- This course is 100% internally assessed
The course runs for 12 weeks from your start date. The time you need to complete your studies will vary depending on your own knowledge and experience. As a guide it could take you approximately 10 hours a week to complete the course within the 12 week time frame.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
You can do this course as part of these qualifications: