This online course is designed for in-service school teachers intending to become more confident teachers of science.
Allow approximately 5-6 hours study time per week for each 10 credit course. Your workload may be higher around assessment due dates or exam time.
Cost2019NZ students $365 + $60 annual administration fee
International students N/A + $60 annual administration fee
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
It provides you with an enjoyable experience of “doing science” and builds confidence in your knowledge of fundamental geology and astronomy concepts that underpin the science curriculum strand “The Planet Earth and Beyond”, and your understandings about the Nature of Science. This online course enables you to assess the effectiveness of particular learning resources and learning experiences in extending children’s understandings about the Nature of Science and the Planet Earth and Beyond.
Fee free offer
Courses offered under OP7611 Graduate Certificate in Primary Science Teaching (Curriculum) Level 7 qualifications are currently fee free. Check out the Fee free offer tab on the qualification web page for information.
Please note: This fee free offer applies only to the Graduate Certificate in Primary Science Teaching (Curriculum). The fee free offer does not apply when enrolling in single courses under our Course Only (Certificate of Proficiency) option.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to
- Narrate enjoyable experiences of doing geology and astronomy and explain what made them enjoyable
- Plan, conduct and report on a small scale scientific investigation utilizing relevant geology and astronomy concepts, knowledge, facilities and equipment
- Outline the fundamental geology and astronomy and Nature of Science concepts and knowledge that underpin the science curriculum competencies relevant to the level of students they teach
- Demonstrate that their knowledge of geology and astronomy and Nature of Science is sufficient for them to teach Nature of Science and The Planet Earth and Beyond to the level of students they teach
- Critique the effectiveness with which selected science teaching and learning resources, and learning experiences actually teach Geology and astronomy and Nature of Science behind the curriculum.
This course is 100% internally assessed
No textbooks are required for this course
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.