This introduction to the study of art and visual culture focuses on the broad chronological period from medieval times through to the present, with reference to the art of other periods and places. It explores how ideas about art have changed over time.
Allow approximately 15-20 hours study time per week for each 60 credit course. Your workload may be higher around assessment due dates or exam time.
Cost2019NZ students $2,202 + $60 annual administration fee
International students N/A + $60 annual administration fee
As well as studying well-known artists and artworks, you’ll encounter new and diverse forms of visual culture. Topics range from gothic churches to impressionist painting and landscape gardens to photography. It is based on a course from the Open University UK.
Note: This course replaces 74206 From Enlightenment to Romanticism.
When you have completed your study of this course you should be able to
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the study of art and visual culture
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of Renaissance art and visual culture
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of modern and visual culture
- engage in visual and textual analysis.
There is a textbook required for this course. Visit our textbook page for more information.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
Lecturer / Tutor
You can do this course as part of these qualifications: