Early childhood teachers are required to demonstrate both knowledge of and commitment to bi-cultural partnerships when working with children and their families.
Delivery type2019Trimester 2 2019
Allow 10-12 hours study time per week for each 20 credit course.
Cost2019NZ students $830 + $60 annual administration fee
International students N/A + $60 annual administration fee
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
This course examines the basis of this partnership and outlines the history and context of Te Tiriti o Waitangi The Treaty of Waitangi focusing on its relevance for early childhood education.
Student teachers are also introduced to te reo me ngā tikanga Māori and prepared for participation on a marae.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to
- Discuss the context in which Te Tiriti ō Waitangi was signed including the pre and post colonial history of Aotearoa New Zealand, and the process of colonisation
- Discuss the unique place of Māori as tangata whenua and the principle of partnership inherent in Te Tiriti o Waitangi in relation to the Aotearoa New Zealand early childhood curriculum
- Develop te reo me ngā tikanga resources for early childhood settings
- Demonstrate developing skills and knowledge of te reo me nga tikanga Māori with view to implementing bicultural practices in early childhood settings
- Discuss Māori perspectives of family and kinship, teaching and learning, health and well-being
- Noho Marae. Demonstrate an understanding and knowledge of a range of protocols to ensure respectful participation
This course is 100% internally assessed and includes a noho marae
Noho marae workshops are held over two days in at urban and rural marae around New Zealand and give you the opportunity to build your skills and knowledge required to teach effectively in a bi-cultural context.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
Lecturer / Tutor
You can do this course as part of these qualifications: