This course has seven modules which cover
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
- How schools work
- Teaching and learning
- Interpersonal skills
- Child development
- Learning support strategies
- Working with children
- Working professionally
This course also includes at least 5 hours on-job time per week over your study period.
Topics covered include
- Requirements of schools; policies and procedures; school structure, organisation and resourcing; roles and responsibilities.
- The New Zealand Curriculum; curriculum delivery; the teacher aide’s role in supporting curriculum delivery.
- Communication; intercultural and teamwork skills.
- Observing children; developmental stages; similarities and differences between children.
- The learning environment; relating to children; adapting learning tasks; teaching and learning approaches; behaviour guidance.
- Knowing your learners; learning needs; working with individuals and groups; planning, taking and evaluating learning sessions.
- Professional practice; self-care strategies; professional guidelines; professional development.
This course is 100% internally assessed
No textbooks are required for this course
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.