In this course you will learn about the concepts and methods of data analysis, statistical inference and financial mathematics.
Delivery type2019Trimester 2 2019
Allow 10-12 hours study time per week for each 20 credit course.
Cost2019NZ students $730 + $60 annual administration fee
International students $2,254 + $60 annual administration fee
Exam dates2019Trimester 1, 11 Jun 2019
Trimester 2, 14 Oct 2019
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
Once you have completed this course you should be able to:
- calculate summary statistics, use software to present data clearly and interpret data
- use methods of correlation and regression to analyse and interpret a given data set and make predictions
- use computer software to plot time series, identify their features, then produce and explain forecasts
- demonstrate the correct use of random sampling techniques to select samples, and identify potential sources of bias
- describe the Consumer Price Index (CPI), and use index numbers to compare time series, and to remove the effect of price changes from (deflate) financial time series
- apply financial mathematics to lump sums and annuities
- apply probability distributions, estimate population means and proportions, interpret confidence intervals and calculate sample sizes to achieve the required margin of error
- identify types of process variation and create and interpret control charts to achieve quality control.
If you don’t have Mathematics to Year 12 (6th form) level, or an equivalent, or you have not studied maths for some time, please contact the course lecturer before you enrol.
You will require internet access and Excel to complete this course.
Assessment for this course is:
- 50% internally assessed
- 50% exam.
For more information about exams, including a full list of exam times see our exam information page:
No textbooks are required for this course.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.