In this online course, you will grow your advanced knowledge of sterilising technology. This will enable you to take a leadership role within your unit, ensuring the effective processing of reusable medical devices (RMD), and the maintenance of sterile RMD, throughout the sterile supply cycle, thus enabling your team to meet the demands of your unit’s customers. In particular, it will help you understand and apply the validation requirements for cleaning, disinfecting, and sterilising, enabling you to consistently meet patient safety and work output requirements.
For each credit, allow about 10 hours of study.
Cost2019NZ students $730 + $60 annual administration fee
International students $1,419 + $60 annual administration fee
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
- Developing awareness of issues in advanced sterilising technology, e.g. effective decontamination
- Microbial particulates and process residues
- Infection control
- Single use/reusable instruments
- Bioburden and methods of determining/measuring levels
- Factors influencing the achievement and maintenance of sterility
- Correct procedures for ensuring the achievement and maintenance of sterility
- Validation requirements
After completing this course you will be able to
- Access current information on advanced sterilising technology
- Discuss issues related to effective decontamination and sterilisation of surgical instruments and appliances
- Describe the impact of microbial particulates and process residues on the quality of medical devices
- Critically evaluate the issues related to single use and reusable instruments
- Outline methods of determining bioburden
- Monitor, recognise and rectify faults in the decontamination process
- Demonstrate practices that ensure the achievement and maintenance of sterility
- Discuss the role of environmental and human factors in the maintenance of sterility of sterilised products
- Apply validation requirements for packaging and sterilising instruments
- Complete validation documentation
- Students must be employed in a health service organisation providing reprocessing of reusable medical devices.
- Applicants may be asked to provide evidence of employment and sterilising technology understanding to support their application.
- Your course is delivered 100% online. To complete this course you will need access to a computer or device, broadband internet and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer/device or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
This course is 100% internally assessed
No textbooks are required for this course
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.